Crock Pot Beef Tips
It’s getting cold you all! AND it is that time of year when it starts to get crazy busy with all the holiday shopping and baking and get to gethers. THIS is when slow cooker dishes become a convenient way to cook up your favorite comfort foodsnd stay on the right track with your nutrition. You have a healthy meal ready to go after a long day at the mall shopping and standing in line for Santa. Here is one that even your kiddos will love. This recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Tips is a tasty classic that is good for you, too!
Serve it over brown rice, mashed cauliflower, whole wheat noodles or even polenta!
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cut in strips, excess fat trimmed
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup dry red wine + splash for deglazing
- 2-½ cups fat free beef broth
- 2 tbsp corn starch + ¼ cup cold water, whisked together
- Place the onions and mushrooms into the bottom of a 4.5 quart slow cooker.
- Then, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Generously season the steak strips with salt and pepper and add them to the hot skillet, and sear the meat on all sides, about 3 minutes; do not cook through.
- Place the meat into the slow cooker on top of the vegetables.
- Splash a couple tablespoons of red wine into the hot skillet and scrape the bottom to remove any browned meat bits. Add these to the crock pot.
- Season the beef with pepper a second time and add the Worcestershire sauce, red wine, and beef broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Uncover and slowly whisk in the cornstarch and water mixture. Cover and cook on high for another 45 minutes or until the gravy has thickened.
- Serve the beef tips over brown rice , whole wheat noodles, mashed cauliflower or polenta
Yields: 5 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup beef tips and broth and ¾ cup brown rice |Calories: 370| Previous Points: 7 | Points Plus: 9 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 54 mg | Sodium: 430 mg | Carbohydrates: 44 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 28 g |