Fajita Stuffed Zucchini
I LOVE fajita’s: beef, chicken, shrimp. Just ask my kiddos and hubby– it is what I order at every Mexican resaraunt we go to. Heck, I even had a portabella mushroom fajita once and it was muy delicioso! (Just replace the protein with the portabella mushroom!)
This recipe is gluten free, low carb and super easy to make and delicious!
Chicken Fajita Stuffed Zucchini
- 6 large zucchini or 4 pounds
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 3 sweet peppers 1 green, red, yellow or 1 pound
- 1 onion or 12 ounces chopped
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped (or beef, or shrimp or portabella mushrooms, sliced) Feel free to use ground chicken, turkey or lean ground beef as a substution… it is all delish!)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- juice of lime
- optional toppings: sour cream, avocado, shredded Mexican cheese, cilantro, salsa
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Slice zucchini in half lengthwise then scoop out some of the center to make room for filling. Place scooped out zucchini in a bowl and set aside.
Rub oil over zucchini boats and place on a baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes until fork tender.
Slice peppers and onion and place into bowl with scooped out zucchini.
Add in the sliced uncooked chicken.
Drizzle oil into bowl of chicken and veggies and toss together.
Whisk together the seasonings and toss into bowl.
Spread veggies and chicken onto another baking sheet.
Bake chicken and veggies for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Scoop chicken fajita filling into zucchini boats and add top with shredded cheese if desired.
return them to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes til cheese is nice and melty
Squirt some lime juice over filling and add optional toppings if desired.