One Skillet Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
: 6 -8
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces- heaping 2 cups
- 3 tablespoons olive oil separated
- 1 cup chopped sweet bell peppers any color you like (or an assortment)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth vegetable for a vegetarian meal
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice optional
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream for topping
- Optional: chopped cilantro, chopped avocado or guacamole, 1 small roma tomato, chopped
Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into small pieces.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, combine two tablespoons olive oil with all of the sweet potatoes.
Saute the sweet potatoes for 8-10 minutes or until pretty tender. Add in remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the rice.
Cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes at medium heat.
Add in the undrained diced tomatoes, drained & rinsed black beans, frozen corn, peppers, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, and vegetable or chicken broth. Give everything a really good stir, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium low
Cover the skillet with a lid and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until all the liquid is drained and the rice is cooked through.
Remove the lid and stir in the lime juice. Top with the shredded cheddar cheese and then cover the pot with the skillet for 1-2 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
Top your burrito bowls with plain full fat greek yogurt, chopped tomato, chopped cilantro, chopped avocado or guacamole, or any other desired toppings.