“Put The Lime In The Coconut” Energy Balls
I absolutely LOVE giving my clients healthy alternatives to their favorite foods and this recipe hits the mark! Bursting with the sweet, tart taste of a Key Lime Pie without all the fat and calories. They are an easy to make snack that is great to carry with you on the go!
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup cashews, macademia nuts, walnuts, pecans. Your choice! They all work deliciously!
- 1 cups pitted dates
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Plus extra coconut for rolling
- zest and juice from 3 key limes- or 1/4 cup lime juice (FRESH)
- Add the almonds and other nuts to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until nuts are finely chopped (but do not pulse too long, you do not want the nuts to turn into a paste).
- Add the dates, lime juice and 3/4s of the lime zest and coconut. Pulse until the dates are finely chopped and the mixture starts to clump.
- put remaining coconut and remaining lime zest in a shallow dish.
- Shape the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls. Roll in coconut lime mixture to coat outside of the balls.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Note- I added a squeeze of raw, organic honey for a touch of sweetness, but I think I will not do that again. I liked the burst of tart, sweet lime flavor and the honey made it a little too sweet. But if you prefer it more sweet add just a little bit! 🙂
Adapted from Paleo Grubs