Spicy Shrimp taco meal prep bowls
Meal prep really has been making a huge difference for me and for my clients nutrition routine.
Here is a healthy take on Mexican food that combines all the best ingredients and makes a delicious meal prep bowl (and I mean, who doesnt love Mexican right!!!)
- The main protein in this dish is Shrimp, BUT you can easily substitute with lean ground beef or lean ground turkey, or even salmon
- Black beans add more protein and a bonus, are high in dietary fiber.
- The brown rice gives you good carbs and extra dietary fiber. Which will keep you fueled and ready to continue on with your day.
- Tomatoes are an amazing source of vitamin C and potassium.
- Avocado is full of all the good fats you need in your diet for great skin, hair and lowering your cholesterol levels. (But I would recommend adding the avocado on the day of serving to prevent any browning).
Hope you guys enjoy! More meal preps ideas to come! Maybe a thanksgiving bowl?!
(By the way- this is prepped and ready to go in under 30 minutes! )
Shrimp Taco Meal Prep Bowls
20 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, or lean ground beef, turkey or salmon fillets
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder (optional)
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For the assembly:
2 cups cooked brown rice (optional)
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn, drained and rinsed
1 cup tomatoes, diced
½ cup cheddar cheese
2 tablespoon cilantro, minced
1 lime, cut into 4 slices
4 meal prep containers (optional)
To cook the shrimp: In a medium bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili and onion powders, and salt. Add in shrimp and toss to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for for at least 10 minutes or up to 24 hours.Heat a large heavy-duty or cast iron skillet on high heat for 2 minutes.Add the olive oil and shrimp. Cook shrimp in a skillet on medium-high heat until pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
To assemble: Divide brown rice into 4 meal prep containers (1/2 cup each).Top with 5 shrimps, a scoop of black beans, corn, tomatoes, a sprinkle of cheese, cilantro and a slice of lime. Cover and refrigerate for a max of 4 days.
To serve: Heat bowls in the microwave for 2 minutes or until heated throughly.Drizzle with lime juice and top with salsa, sour-cream or guacamole if desired.
Notes: I skip the rice, but if you’re using it…. Cook brown rice according to package directions before getting started on the shrimp so it cooks while you are preparing the shrimp.
Additional ingredient options:
Avocado (add the day you eat it)