Whole Wheat Lemon Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup shredded, unpeeled zucchini (from 1 small zucchini)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x4x2 loaf pan with cooking spray.
- To shred your zucchini, first rinse the zucchini and pat it dry. Trim off and discard the ends. Shred the zucchini in a food processor or using a box grater, until you have enough to measure one cup.
- For the lemon zest, rinse and pat dry two lemons. Use a lemon zester to scrape the lemon peel until you have one tablespoon.
- Add your shredded zucchini and lemon zest to a large mixing bowl. Add in the sugar, oil, egg and lemon extract. Stir until mixed.
- In a small mixing bowl, add your flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Whisk them to blend.
- Add your flour mixture to your large bowl with the zucchini batter. Gently stir to combine. Chop up some shelled walnuts until you have 1/2 cup. Stir the chopped walnuts into your batter.
- Transfer the batter to your loaf pan and bake, uncovered, for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the pan rest for ten minutes on a wire rack before inverting the zucchini bread onto a cooling rack (wear oven mitts.) Flip the zucchini over so that it is right-side up and let it finish cooling off. The bread tastes best when it has cooled to room temperature.
- Once cooled off, store the zucchini bread at room temperature, wrapped in plastic.
NOTES: My kids love it when I glaze this bread- I dont do it often, but occassional as a treat. To glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- mix with wisk until smooth
- drizzle over cooled bread, let set before wrapping